Sunday, March 4, 2007

Mojito Shipwreck

We just got into Harvey bay. We took an overnight bus from Rainbow Beach immediately after coming from Fraser Island.

What happens is. They give you a sooped up Toyota Landcruiser, with roughly 10 people inside. It's up to you to drive and go where you want. Drive up and down the east side of the beach, stop off at the various landmarks, setup camp and have a good time. We drove the shit out of our little bad boy. It was loads of fun.

Fraser Island is one of the most amazing places I've been (I'm sure this is a reoccurring motif throughout these posts). We spent 3 days, 2 nights driving around the Island, myself mocking the instructor (all in good jest) the entire time. I have many pictures of the S.S. Moheno (a few excellent ones that I took at sunrise while I was still drunk).

I was almost stripped on a beach by 2 English chicks. I learned Statue of Liberty and Chimney smoke using Sambuca from 2 extremely cool German dudes. I played drinking games with Irish, Sweed, Canadian, Swiss, German, Polish and numerous other people from more exotic nationalities--all at the same table. We were, once again, the only Americans on our trip with roughly 50 other people.

I chased off Dingos from our camp site. "Dingo, go home".

Lake Mackenzie is awesome.

Two nights ago, I sat out on the beach after getting quite drunk, and watched the full moonlight carry globs of clouds over my head. The way they were formed... they looked like Manatee in the sky, littering the entire horizon. The wind would blow them in quite fast... and I just sat, watching them spill over my head, turning from little fluffs in the distance to giant cruise ship sized blankets over my beach. I say my beach, because there are hardly any people on Fraser. So as I sat on the beach... I saw no other living soul. I saw no light of houses or buildings in the distance. Nothing. Just me, brilliantly lit beach, and the sound of the waves as the come in from as far as you can look out. Like I said, it was like nothing else I think I've ever experienced.


I had a "good time".


7 week mark is today. It's going by far too fast. It feels like it should be the end of January, and not March. Everyone we meet seems to be taking at least 6 months to do the Australia / South East Asia thing. We've taken this thing way to fast (I'm sure people back home think we've taken far too much time off). Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Sailing starts tomorrow. We just missed the Cyclone. Good times.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

watch out for the Cooper superpacks....

http://www.uq.edu.au/news/?article=5856



"Fraser Island dingoes are surviving as a superpack, eating less fish and garbage and roaming up to 120 kilometres a week.

They are more tolerant of each other than their mainland cousins and move around the Island depending on turtle and fish seasons, according to UQ dingo researcher Nick Baker.

Mr Baker has been researching the ecology of Fraser Island dingoes for his PhD since the fatal dingo attack on nine-year-old Clinton Gage on April 30, 2001.

The island's large population of dingoes have often clashed with tourists by stealing food from campsites or hassling and attacking campers for food.

Some tourists continue to illegally feed or approach the dingoes despite big fines.

Mr Baker has been collecting dingo DNA, recording dingo encounters and tagging and tracking the dogs with ear tags and sand plots."

Anonymous said...

We all hate you! Frasier Island is a world heritage site because it's so amazing. The only "pure" Cooper dogs left are there (and don't mess that up). I read about it in one of my goofy books awhile ago. It's the largest sand island in the world and they used to mine the sand (and timber) but stopped when they realized that tourism was more lucrative. Look for whales, it's a famous whale watching spot ( during the times you can see). Our only consolation is that Queensland is probably THE most dangerous place on earth. Enjoy!

Seriously, you're taking the trip of a lifetime and I'm so happy for you. Howard said the same thing you did when he last went to South Africa...people thought he was nuts for only taking a month...